[DeTomaso] Hewland in a Pantera

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Sun Feb 2 17:02:23 EST 2014

My race cars all had either Mark 8 or 9 Hewlands.
One of my heaviest and most cherished boxes was my homemade wooden box with
dividers that held about  30 gear sets and lots of dog rings.
There was a list of closely guarded recipes for each track that was
probably the nearest thing we had to top secret. That was one of the
questions like How much is your Pantera worth or How much do you make per
year that people just knew that you shouldn't ask and that nobody would
answer.
Once you had a bunch of practice and if nobody interrupted you, you could
change them out in 30-45 minutes. Most people caught, strained and used the
fluid for that weekend, new fluid was used the next time weekend.
The truth is that if you had the formula for each track, you changed it out
back at the shop or at home before arriving at the track, changing gear
sets in the great outdoors, on grass, in the rain or in the cold, bent over
on your knees isn't fun.
What's worse is not having a big parts washer and lots of hot water to wash
up afterwards.
You could always tell you didn't have the right recipe at the driver's
meetings
by their smell, dirty fingernails and stained clothing.
God I miss all of that stuff.

Michael Shortt