[DeTomaso] Hewland in a Pantera

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Feb 2 16:00:55 EST 2014

The only exception I know of to what Les said was Warren Tope's non-factory Pantera racer that used a Hewland. It was pretty blatant given that he competed against Hugh Kleinpeter's Pantera- that was required by IMSA to run a ZF. It was a big deal at the time because a Hewland's gear ratios could easily be changed for different tracks while the ZF's took hours to change and available ratios were few. Kleinpeter was the ZF rep for the eastern U.S. and even then he couldn't get the ratios he needed. There were several protests over Tope's car but nothing ever came of them. Kleinpeter said it was because Tope's father was a Ford vice-president and at the time, Ford was still in all kinds of racing.... 43 yr old dirty laundry.