[DeTomaso] fuel cell

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:03:07 EDT 2014

No, I was just curious. My new engine is supposed to be making north of 600
hp and I have already done a whole new suspension  with modified a arrms,poly
bushings, sphere ball sway bars, dual cnc master cylinders with a balance
bar and brembos so the car will be half way set up for some nice track
days. one never knows what the future holds but if possible I would like to
try some ORR like the Silver state at some time in the future but I would
need to add some safety mods (fire suppression  and roll cage really just a
bucket list thing.
Boyd

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:49 AM, <jderyke at aol.com> wrote:

> Some Pantera racers use a pair of 12 gallon fuel cells- one on each side
> of the engine. This helps balance the car but introduces complexity and
> safety issues with large diameter cross-over piping & dual fuel feeds to a
> single carb, and slow filling of both cells (unless you use dual fillers
> which really PO-s people in a gas line behind you!  I had an aux tank for
> awhile in a commuter car and I regularly got yelled at when I finished
> gassing the main tank & then opened up the trunk for the 5-gallon aux). A
> couple of racers use front trunk mount fuel cells which solves some of the
> problems but doesn't allow enough capacity to make long trips comfortably.
> And the constant maintenance- changing foam each year, watching for
> punctures and leaks from the added lines, plus the lack of a reliable fuel
> gauge,  makes cells a poor, expensive choice for a street car.  They're
> really meant to prevent fires when crashing and that doesn't (or
> shouldn't!) happen much on the street. With these questions, are you
> building a dedicated racer?
>
>  Does anyone have any experience with replacing a stock pantera gas tank
>    with a fuel cell?

   600 hp and I have already done a whole new suspension A with modified a
   arrms,poly bushings, sphere ball sway bars, dual cnc master cylinders
   with a balance bar and brembos so the car will be half way set up for
   some nice track days. one never knows what the future holds but if
   possible I would like to try some ORR like the Silver state at some
   time in the future but I would need to add some safety mods (fire
   suppressionA A and roll cage really just a bucket list thing.
   Boyd

     Some Pantera racers use a pair of 12 gallon fuel cells- one on each
     side of the engine. This helps balance the car but introduces
     complexity and safety issues with large diameter cross-over piping &
     dual fuel feeds to a single carb, and slow filling of both cells
     (unless you use dual fillers which really PO-s people in a gas line
     behind you!A  I had an aux tank for awhile in a commuter car and I
     regularly got yelled at when I finished gassing the main tank & then
     opened up the trunk for the 5-gallon aux). A couple of racers use
     front trunk mount fuel cells which solves some of the problems but
     doesn't allow enough capacity to make long trips comfortably. And
     the constant maintenance- changing foam each year, watching for
     punctures and leaks from the added lines, plus the lack of a
     reliable fuel gauge,A  makes cells a poor, expensive choice for a
     street car.A  They're really meant to prevent fires when crashing