[DeTomaso] fuel cell

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 03:49:54 EDT 2014

Some Pantera racers use a pair of 12 gallon fuel cells- one on each side of the engine. This helps balance the car but introduces complexity and safety issues with large diameter cross-over piping & dual fuel feeds to a single carb, and slow filling of both cells (unless you use dual fillers which really PO-s people in a gas line behind you!  I had an aux tank for awhile in a commuter car and I regularly got yelled at when I finished gassing the main tank & then opened up the trunk for the 5-gallon aux). A couple of racers use front trunk mount fuel cells which solves some of the problems but doesn't allow enough capacity to make long trips comfortably. And the constant maintenance- changing foam each year, watching for punctures and leaks from the added lines, plus the lack of a reliable fuel gauge,  makes cells a poor, expensive choice for a street car.  They're really meant to prevent fires when crashing and that doesn't (or shouldn't!) happen much on the street. With these questions, are you building a dedicated racer?

Does anyone have any experience with replacing a stock pantera gas tank
   with a fuel cell?