[DeTomaso] Monterey auction results

Mike Scardina a42n8cfo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 00:20:12 EDT 2014

Did anyone here attend the Mecum auction in Monterey and see the 1974 GTS Pantera in person?  It was described as follows:

"To this day it remains virtually untouched and beautifully preserved, including the original tools, space-saver spare and inflation canister. As one of the best of its kind in the world it has enormous value as a reference car for restorations and would be a premium addition to any collection of world-class sports cars."

From the photos it clearly had replacement mirrors and the black hood and deck lid appeared to be gloss black instead of the proper charcoal metal flake.... hardly a proper reference car for restorations.

The auction estimate was $150.000 - $175,000, but the $120,000 bid seemed to me to be all the money. Yet, I'm happy to see the Pantera holding its own.  Have our cars recently taken a giant leap in value or was this just an auction aberration?