[DeTomaso] Seals

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Sat Aug 16 20:15:37 EDT 2014

Previously I wrote (7/3/14 - see below) that I have found seals for the
original clutch slave cylinder on 5332.  While the seals from Sealco were
the right inner and outer diameter, they were made of a stiff material which
would not stretch around the piston for installation.  So, back to the
drawing board.  Searched the web for seals that matched the 5/8 inch ID, and
1 inch OD, made out of something that would stretch appropriately.  Also
hoped to find seals that would fill the roughly ¼ inch slot (0.28 inch) in
the pistons.  No luck.  But I did find seals that matched the inner and
outer diameters but were slightly thinner (3/16 inch) at
https://www.herculesus.com/ .   The same outfit had backing rings that were
0.070 inch thick to help fill up the slot.  The attached pictures show my
piston with both an original seal and a new seal with backing ring.

The backing rings are pretty stiff – make good backing rings.  I did cut the
ring so it could slip into the slot – fits in nicely.

Part numbers are:

Seal – HRU 18-0.62-18 (SKU 13978) - $1.89 each

Backing Ring – 870-48 (SKU 119238) – Come in pack of 10 - $6.375

Not real sure one needs the backing ring, but it does lie in nicely.

Hope this helps someone wanting to use an original slave cylinder.

Stephen Nelson