[DeTomaso] Clutch pedal is spongy and won't completely engage the clutch.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Sep 9 10:21:35 EDT 2013

In a message dated 9/9/13 1 57 38, denman at gmail.com writes:

> I've had my Pantera #5197 for 18 months. It hasn't been driven in three
> months while I worked on a few things. Today when I started it to take it
> out for a spin the clutch pedal was spongy and wouldn't fully engage the
> clutch.
>
>>>I presume you mean it wouldn't fully DIS-engage the clutch--that is, the
clutch wouldn't release properly?   If the clutch wasn't fully engaging,
that would mean it was slipping.

> >It worked fine when I last parked it.
>
>>>Everything always does. :>)

> >The fluid reservoir is near full and there is no fluid leaking anywhere
> and
> there has been no work on the clutch system so I don't think it is air in
> the system, but I will bleed it to be sure. I suspect bad clutch master
> seals.
>
>>>If your clutch master is the kind that has "DETOMASO" cast into the left
side, that's virtually a sure thing.   Even if it's original, it could
simply be that 40 years has taken its toll, but in that case it's likely caused
by rust pitting the inside of the bore and nicking the seals.

> >Pushing the clutch pedal to the floor moves the clutch push rod less than
> 1/2 inch. I measured that clutch free Play at 0.070 inch and from what
> I've
> read the recommended value is 0.102 inch to 0.106 inch, which I will
> adjust. Other than bleeding the system and either replacing or rebuilding
> the clutch master cylinder do members have other suggestions.

bad seal, as so many others have had, if you call Wilkinson he'll send you
new, proper replacement seals for it.

> >Also, I have a new bottle of ProLine DOT-3 brake fluid that I plan to
> use.
> Are there reasons people don't like this brand? What other products do
> people like better?
>
>>>I've never heard of that brand, but there's no reason not to use it.
Clutch hydraulics have a pretty easy life compared to brakes, and the worst
fluid you could buy would still work just fine as long as it was installed pr
operly (air bled out etc.)

Good luck!