[DeTomaso] Clutch pedal is spongy and won't completely engage the clutch.

Denny Morse denman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 04:49:55 EDT 2013

Hello group,

I've had my Pantera #5197 for 18 months. It hasn't been driven in three
months while I worked on a few things. Today when I started it to take it
out for a spin the clutch pedal was spongy and wouldn't fully engage the
clutch. It worked fine when I last parked it.
The fluid reservoir is near full and there is no fluid leaking anywhere and
there has been no work on the clutch system so I don't think it is air in
the system, but I will bleed it to be sure. I suspect bad clutch master
seals.

Pushing the clutch pedal to the floor moves the clutch push rod less than
1/2 inch. I measured that clutch free Play at 0.070 inch and from what I've
read the recommended value is 0.102 inch to 0.106 inch, which I will
adjust. Other than bleeding the system and either replacing or rebuilding
the clutch master cylinder do members have other suggestions.

Also, I have a new bottle of ProLine DOT-3 brake fluid that I plan to use.
Are there reasons people don't like this brand? What other products do
people like better?

Thanks,

Denny Morse