[DeTomaso] Clunking noise

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 14:20:29 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/15/13 10 50 11, tcabanski at tencom.com writes:

> Any thought based on so little information?
>

>>>Do you hear the noise when the car is stationary, or as the car is
slowing to a stop?

Is it a single clunk, or multiple clunks?

If it coincides with you stepping on the brake pedal, it could be a caliper
come adrift.   I had that when I first bought my car--on the drive home
from Hall Pantera one of the caliper bolts fell out, and the caliper came to
rest on the rotor, which was slowly sawing it in half!

How are your axles and bearings?   I think they would have to be
desperately worn to result in a clunking sound.

Shock mounts?   The stock shock mounts will wear out over time and result
on metal-to-metal rather than rubber isolation.

Really, you need to jack the car up, and start pulling/pushing/wiggling
until you find it.   Look for the obvious first.

FWIW a few weeks ago, one of my Sciroccos developed a rotational
thunkathunkathunka sound from the front, which seemed more pronouced when going around
sharp turns.   I presumed it was a failed CV joint, and since I bought some
with a lifetime warranty, I got a new one for free.   Jacked up the car,
pulled the wheel--and discovered that one of the caliper mounting bolts had
disappeared and the caliper had been wobbling around and clunking.
Fortunately I had a spare bolt (it's a specialized piece so I grabbed a few last time
I was at the junkyard), and I changed the driveshaft anyway, since I had a
new free one in my hands.