[DeTomaso] Clunking noise

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Oct 15 14:11:26 EDT 2013

Need more data.
Does it happen when the car is totally stopped?
Or is it rocking slightly backward or forward after the stop?
Is your foot firmly on the brake, or off, or just kind of resting on the
brake?
Do you hear it if the engine is off, immediately after you've stopped?
Does it happen at all temperatures or just after driving the car for a
while?
Does it happen just once -when- you apply the brakes?
Or does it happen multiple times after being stopped?

It could be the brake calipers.  If the rear brake piston is not
oriented properly, it could recede into the caliper farther than it
should.  When you apply the brakes on initial press of the pedal it may
"bang" against the pad and then press the pad to the disk.  This might
also be felt as a little bit more pedal travel on initial application of
the brakes.

It could be the limited slip differential in the transmission.  If the
trans is low on lube or there is odd wear on the limited slip clutches,
then you might get "popping" in the trans that transmits through the
half-shafts and into the rear axles and hubs.  You would hear this after
the car is stopped and it might pop a few to several times.  Check your
fluid level.  You might also be able to check for this noise immediately
after stopping the car, shutting off the engine and opening the deck lid
to listen.

Let us know what you find.
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired