[DeTomaso] To Steal a De Tomaso?

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 22:03:20 EDT 2013

Following up on the discussion regarding Privacy/Theft as it relates to
license/registration plates,

and VINs that began recently.  What are the risks?

The De Tomaso community benefits from the "unintended consequence" of our
Brand/Marque having a smaller

following than other exotics such as Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, and many
other small production sports car makers.

Our cars have been, and still are, under-valued, in my opinion.  (This makes
theft less profitable.)

The benefit is that our cars are much less targeted by deceitful people.

As you all know, I manage the De Tomaso Registry which gives me a unique
perspective on the subject, and I have

had discussions on this topic with people from around the world, including
law enforcement.

I now will lump all crooks, thieves, etc. into one group and call them "a
Deceitful Person/People", or "DP"s.

First let us develop some common ground regarding theft.

I think there may be some miss-understanding regarding what our risks really
are, and how can we best reduce our risk.

I'm ignoring vandalism, petty theft like a stereo theft, insurance fraud and
such.

Why would a DP steal our DeTomaso?

The most often cited reason is money (profit), plain and simple.

The DP wants money, quick, easy, and without recourse (capture).

Via what MO (Modus Operandi)?

1)  The DP can steal a car, and part it out.

2) The DP can steal a car, re-title it somehow, and quickly sell it.

What else?

I've been told that "Cloning" is a risk by someone in the UK, and perhaps I
don't understand what he meant by "Cloning",

so if this is a new criminal trend I am unaware of, please inform me.  I'll
address what I consider "Cloning" later.

I'll mention non-profit reasons for completeness; but their risks are
different, and so is the defense.

The DP can take it for a "Joy Ride".

The DP can steal a car for "private enjoyment", meaning the car will become
his garage queen, hidden from public view.

I'll address these risks shortly.  I'd like to hear if I have missed
something, before I continue.

Chuck