[DeTomaso] Speedo died today

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Jun 15 21:58:20 EDT 2013

Dear Michael,

              Ah, I recently went through this.  Please profit from my
experience.

              I mistakenly assumed that the cable had gone kaput.  So....I
disconnected the cable from the front and rear ends, completely removed it
from the car, and proceeded to pull out the broken cable from within the
housing.  I was surprised when I pulled out the entire cable intact.
Befuddled, I finally took a closer look and found that my dead speedo was
due to a dead speedo gear back at the ZF.

              Checking the speedo drive is much easier than "dash diving".
It probably is the cable, but if you disconnect the cable at the speedo
gauge, then you're right there and can check it ( easy to remove with
caution and foresight of dropping the gear into the ZF :-(  }.  Then, if it
ain't the drive gear, you're already halfway done with the cable
disconnection.  You can *then* wiggle you hands behind the dash and
disconnect the cable housing from the back of the speedo and check for a
broken speedo cable.  If that's not the cause, then it should be the speedo,
itself.

            As Mike said, the speedo cable does like gentle curves and
routing for minimal problems.

                         Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles