[DeTomaso] "Throwaway Cars" tale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 16:54:30 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/15/13 13 31 55, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Bob said, "They're throwaway cars."
> Cold and succinct.

Exactly right.

The Ferrari F40 used a unique, stand-alone computer as well, made by
Magneti-Morelli.   When that thing fizzles out, the car stops, and there's no
getting it going again.

I'm sure it's possible to adapt some aftermarket hardware, but it's
probably a non-trivial task.   I would think that there would be room for an
enterprising individual to come up with generic replacements for these high-end
computers, because I think the computers themselves are relatively simple.
While the volumes sold would be quite low, the potential for markup is
astronomical.   Nobody is going to throw away a $250K car, if they can buy a $20K
computer to keep it going.   They won't like buying a $20K computer, but
what choice will they have?

As to your original point--yes, I love my old cars (all of them) and am
grateful for their simplicity.   My newest car is now 32 years old, and that's
how I intend to roll, forever!