[DeTomaso] "Throwaway Cars" tale

thomas thomas at hax.se
Sat Jun 15 16:52:25 EDT 2013

My cousins Diablo used to lose half of the cylinders. It was diagnosed as a bad coil, it has two coils, one per bank. The car had a fairly new coil when he bought the car, and it had crapped out again.

The original Lamborghini coils where around $800 each. I checked the part number, and it turned out it was the same Magneti-Marelli coil as the Fiat Tipo had. Got one for about $15 at the junk yard.

He had this happen again, always on the same coil. The real problem turned out to be a bad coil connector. Once he replaced that he no longer had any coil issues.

Thomas