[DeTomaso] Pantera specifics for clutch and pressure plate?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 03:43:43 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/11/13 5 55 38, knottsj at galstar.com writes:

> I know we have discussed this before.
> I replaced a clutch and pressure plate locally for a '73 'P' car during
> an engine swap. My mechanic took the old C&P down to our long time local
> re-builder.   They replaced my C&P with an exact match.  In
> investigation I find that the replacement is a Mustang replacement.  My
> mechanic has since left the area and when the clutch was adjusted so it
> would work there is a rattle  as the engine turns with the throw out
> bearing released.
>
>>>That's not a rattle.   That's the fingers of the clutch hitting the
ribbing on the inside of the bellhousing.

> > I have since found that the mechanic is a little
> wormy and may have taken the expedient way out.
>
>>>For sure, it sounds like.

> > What are the specific
> differences between the Mustang clutch and the Pantera clutch assembly
> for the 351C?  The replacement engine seems to have a piston slap so I
> may be doing this again soon.
>
>>>My understanding (and feel free to correct me, somebody, if I'm wrong)
is that the fingers on the Pantera clutch have a different (lower) installed
height.   The disc is also thinner, missing the marchal (wavy spring) that
goes between the two friction surfaces on a normal clutch.

I helped a guy who had bought a Pantera years ago; some Jethro Bo-Deen
mechanic had installed a Mustang (or whatever) clutch instead of a proper
Pantera clutch.   It struck and shattered the bellhousing and broke a big piece
off!   He then fabricated a crude cover out of aluminum and screwed it to the
bellhousing over the big hole, and misadjusted the clutch so it wouldn't hit
anymore.

When Matt drove the car, the clutch slipped badly.   We adjusted it (at a
track event in Texas--some of you guys might remember Matt's beautiful blue
Pantera with the tan leather interior, from this event about ten years ago)
so that the clutch released properly, and then it sounded like a machine gun
as the fingers hit the bellhousing when the clutch was out!   So we adjusted
it to gain clearance, and then the clutch slipped again.

I had come across a complete Pantera Centerforce clutch kit that a guy who
sold his Pantera, gave to me for free, so I passed it on to Matt.   He's
lived happily ever after.

FWIW the Ford parts book lists a Pantera-specific number for the pressure
plate and disc.   I had heard rumors that the Pantera used a 427 FE pressure
plate, but this seems to refute that.   The throwout bearing has a standard
Mustang part number though.