[DeTomaso] Pantera specifics for clutch and pressure plate?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 03:43:46 EDT 2013

In a message dated 6/11/13 10 33 1, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> While we are on the subject of clutches,I am considering changing mine
> and
> I would like to hear suggestions on the best choices for parts and if
> there
> are any other things I should do or replace while I have the Trans axle
> out
> (like throw out bearing , clutch forks etc.?
> Also are there any maintenance or preventative actions ( like seal
> replacements) that should be addressed on the ZF while I'm doing the job?
>
>>>I am a great fan of the McLeod diaphragm clutches, which is just about
all that Dennis Quella sells these days.   Oh sure, you can get an old-school
three-finger model, or a whippy-dippy dual disc job if you have a billion
horsepower to contend with, but the (shhh, say it quietly) Centerforce-style
diaphragm clutch from McLeod is probably best for 97% of the cars out there.
  It has a soft pedal with great clamping force like a Centerforce, but it
has a proper 11-inch disc instead of the 10.5 inch on the Centerforce.

Also, it bolts right up to a standard Pantera flywheel, so there's no need
to spend big bucks redrilling the flywheel, or buying a replacement flywheel
set up to accept the awkward bolt pattern (Chevy?) that Centerforce offers.

Apparently the McLeod diaphragm clutch requires the use of a different
throwout bearing.   They sell an adjustable model (uses shims to set the proper
initial ride height) which is quite expensive--$125 or $150 or something
like that, I think.

It made a HUGE difference on Lori's car, #1765, which doesn't have the
effort reduction kit.   The previous clutch was some sort of 'racing'
non-Pantera clutch, and was literally the stiffest clutch I had ever felt, in
anything.   Totally ridiculous, especially for a girl!   The McLeod has sufficient
clamping force for any occasion, yet has a lighter pedal than the
three-finger McLeod (with effort reduction kit) in my Pantera.

Highly recommended....

As for things to do while you're in the neighborhood?   Well, for sure,
your gearbox ring and pinion bolts need to be safety-wired if they haven't been
already.   More than a few gearboxes have been trashed by one or more bolts
backing out, striking webbing inside the case and breaking the heads off,
which then rattle around until they get caught up in the ring and
pinion--BOOM!   Normally the result is a destroyed ring gear and pinion gear--easily
$2500 right there, not counting labor.

One guy got very lucky when the bolt head got flung through the bottom
cover just as he pulled into the parking lot at the POCA Fun Rally.   Dennis
Quella hadn't yet arrived so he was able to throw a replacement cover in his
bag, and a parking lot tech session took place.   (I presume they safety-wired
the R&P while they were at it).   I think his R&P were undamaged, which
shocked everyone.

If it's leaking from the sides, you can replace the side gaskets easily
enough, I believe (somebody tell me if I'm wrong about that).   Do not open up
the rear of the gearbox however.   Chances are it won't go back together,
and then you get to put all the pieces into bags and boxes and ship the whole
works off to an expert, who will do what experts do.   The result will be a
perfect gearbox that will likely outlast the rest of the car (and you!), and
a dramatically lightened wallet.   If your gearbox ain't broke, don't go
fixing it!

Cheers!

Mike

P.S.   As far as I know, only McLeod and Centerforce make Pantera-specific
clutches.   Resist at all costs the temptation to buy a generic 351C clutch
for a Mustang, pickup truck etc.   A proper Pantera clutch probably doesn't
cost much more (if anything) than an equivalent generic clutch....