[DeTomaso] Complete coolant flush ?

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 15:09:40 EDT 2013

And don't be surprised or discouraged if those plugs in the block never ever come out

without destroying them.  I don't think that's what you're after anyway.  It's not really

how much coolant came out as how much you can get back in and how you do it.

Raise the rear, open the upper petcock on the radiator, slowly fill with coolant until

it's filled the radiator, watch for and give time for air to burp out of everything. Close it, warm it up

and most importantly REPEAT it all until you get a steady stream of coolant out of the

top of the radiator and no bubbles burping in the swirl/pressure tank. Be careful of the pressure

and hot coolant.  Check it again several times over the next few days.

Some people loosen the thermostat housing pipe to help get air out of the block.

I have plugs in the back of the heads at the high point of the water jackets to let air out

as I fill.  It all helps but more importantly, just keep checking for a while until you're satisfied.

Michael