[DeTomaso] 2014 Fun Rally Enclosed Car Shipping...UPDATE

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 20:03:41 EDT 2013

NEW lower bids came in for two of the gateway cities.......

So I sorta ran with my idea and requested quotes all morning
from enclosed car carriers.

I set up four Gateway cities with cheap airfare to San Diego,
way cheaper if you book months in advance.

They are, Newark, NJ, Chicago, IL, Dallas, TX and Atlanta, GA.

Each truck holds six cars,  To be delivered at a starting point in
each city of our choice to the hotel parking lot in San Diego.
with zero stops in between.  They can even load at the airport
area if you all wanted to coordinate your flights together as well.

You could either leave when your car leaves or wait a few days
and arrive when you car arrives.

At the conclusion of the event, the enclosed truck driver will leave
the hotel parking lot and return to the original loading point and unload
your car. The prices included the cost of the truck driver hanging out
during the event, your car will go back on the same truck that brought it.

Here are reasons NOT to consider this.
1. Money
2. You enjoy driving your car thousands of miles
3. You enjoy towing your car thousands of miles

Here are reasons TO consider this
1. If you leave when your car leaves, you have several days of
    non POCA time to enjoy San Diego before your car arrives.
2. If you leave later and arrive the day that your car arrives,
     then you can work more at your job.
3. The same thing as 1 and 2 backwards, stay longer and enjoy
    SD or go home and meet your car later.
4. Considerably less wear and tear on your car
5. No gas expense
6. No hotel expense
7. No road meals.
8. No road rash
9. You will not exceed your collector car insurance annual mileage
     restriction if you have one.
10. No broken cars in route
11. If your car breaks during the event, you have a way home for it.
12. No chance that some idiot will hit your car in BF Egypt while looking
      at it on the road.
13. You fly in comfort and arrived refreshed to enjoy the POCA Fun Rally.
14. Piece of mind and preservation of your marriage or friendship.
15. You will arrive on time and not miss anything.
16. math issues.

I requested quotes from
Reliable, Horseless Carriage, Intercity, Passport and Autobahn.

These quote are are ROUND TRIP prices

Each quote assumes a full truck load of cars (6)

A deposit of 50% is due by Feb 28th, the balance by April 28th

I am not making any money on this, in my own sick way
I enjoy planning, thus my job.

Newark, NJ
Transporter  @  $3,301 per car
OR
2,750 / 5,500 miles R/T  ( @15 mpg at 4.00 = $1,466)
plus 8 hotel nights ( $640.00) 48 road meals ( $576 )
Total to Drive $2,682
Premium for Transport = $619 + 8 days of your life back, ea.
Plus two Airline tix

Chicago, IL
$2,600 per car Transporter
OR
2,079 / 4,158 miles R/T ( @15 mpg at 4.00 = $1,108 )
plus 6 hotel nights ($480.00), 36 road meals ( $432 )
Total to drive  $2,020
Premium for Transport = $580 + 6 days of your life back ea.
Plus two Airline Tix

Atlanta, GA
Transporter @ $2,775 per car
OR
2,141 / 4,282 miles R/T  (@ 15 mpg at 4.00 = $1,141)
plus 6 hotel nights ($480.00), 36 road meals ( $432 )
Total to drive  $2,053
Premium for Transport = $722 + 6 days of your life back ea.
Plus two Airline Tix

Dallas, TX
$2,000 per car Transporter
OR
1,360 / 2,720 miles R/T ( @15 mpg at 4.00 = $726 )
plus 4 hotel nights ($320.00), 24 road meals ( $288 )
Total to drive  $ 1,334
Premium for Transport = $666 + 4 days of your life back ea.
Plus two Airline Tix

If you divide the premium to Transport by the mileage, you'll discover
that the cost is around .25 per mile or slightly less, I don't know about
you, but my cost of operation is far greater than .25 per mile in wear
and tear on the car, not to mention depreciation for those concerned
about maintaining a low mileage car.
If you maintain a 2,500 - 3,000 mile oil change, you'll want to change
it before you head back.

Just for your information and my amusement,

If 5 others will join me, I'll commit to attending and loading in Atlanta.

Michael Shortt

If y'all can find six per city, let me know and I'll hook you up.

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com