[DeTomaso] Clutch throwout bearing spring interference

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 16 16:02:57 EDT 2013

If you can see the photo at the link, I took this photo of Garth's transaxle, you see a spring that's splayed to the side(s) to clear the "nose cone" of the transaxle, where the throwout bearing rides:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=613786851988218&l=2f871cb19b

When I had my transaxle out years ago, I noticed this spring was on mine was hitting the allen screws that hold on the nose cone, reducing the travel away from the clutch by at least 1/8th" IIRC.  This may have prevented the clutch disc from completely wearing out, as the throwout bearing would not be able to move backward as far as the disc wear moved the clutch fingers back.

At the time I bent the spring to sides, to clear the allen heads, to match what you see in the photo.  Was afraid at the time it might snap/break, but it didn't.

Just sayin',

GD