[DeTomaso] Rim Offsets

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Wed Jul 3 12:29:31 EDT 2013

Mike - thanks for the extensive comments.  I do plan to drive 5332 for a
while, get used to it and see how it all hangs together.

Right - scrub radius.  As I understand it, increasing scrub radius makes it
easier to park the car but more sensitive to external forces acting on the
tires when rolling down the highway - like uneven brake application.  Oh,
and "excessive" scrub requires more steering effort when going down the road
and increases the "feel" of the steering.

In my feeble brain, if the inside of the rim is at the same place with both
7 and 8 inch wide rims, well, going to an 8 inch rim increases scrub radius
by a quarter inch.  Of course, I don't know that inside edge of 7 and 8 inch
rims are at the same point.  But, since you indicate that the 8 inch rims
improve handling, I assume this means that the offset is increased a bit.
You indicate that increasing scrub radius improves handling - does that
include reducing tramlining?  Or am I really just asking too nit-picky of
questions?

>From your e-mail I conclude that a set of four 8 inch wide original rims is
the way you would recommend for my situation - if the Coddingtons leave me
feeling like I would want to make a change?

Which Coddingtons.  The gentleman who put them on told me that they were
special, an early set with a flat center section instead of the dished shape
of the later ones.  This apparently requires unusual lug nuts which are
counter sunk.  I am speaking from my notes here, and will have to see what I
can figure out when Passport drops it off this afternoon.

See what you think.  5332
<http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNU05332/RTHPNNU
05332.asp>

Looking at the pictures one more time, I will have to see how it drives and
rides.  You are right - gads, good looking rims.

Stephen Nelson

SNClocks.com <http://www.snclocks.com/>

Click here to join one of our mailing lists Contact
<http://fs19.formsite.com/kagforms/form675003155/index.html>  Lists

Click here for our new
<http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D
ulcimers/19824807_4sHGgj#1558377542_LKmkrT7> Hammered Dulcimers galleries

Click here for my new blog <http://www.perfectoldman.com/>  on finding
happiness in retirement

  _____