[DeTomaso] Here you go, KIrby . . . (NPC - they can't keep up)

Darryl Johnson johnsondarr at hughes.net
Mon Feb 25 15:49:18 EST 2013

This was very interesting. After having done the Mojave Mile 4 or 5 times it
always interesting the various configurations that run the mile. While this
GT 500 ran similar to all the Mustangs at Mojave depending on level of
modification and tune I believe I've done slightly better with a normally
aspirated Pantera. Of course I'm running a 532ci Big Block Ford on pump gas
but no other power adders.

I typically run 174mph to 176mph but with a best ever run of 183mph at
Mojave. Don't know what happened on my good or best run (maybe the moon in
proper phase or a great gust of wind behind me) but I believe I was the
fastest normally aspirated car there. Could have changed now since I missed
the Magnum Mile and the last Mile event.

My car runs 640HP at the crank (at least the builder said so) and when
dyno'd during tuning it showed 557HP at the rear wheels and 610 ft-lbs of
torque. It is almost an unwritten rule (law?) that you need at LEAST 800HP
to run 200 MPH in the mile. Most of the big mph winners are now all "turbo"
cars who develop more than 1,000 HP. Like the fastest at Mojave was a Ford
GT Twin turbo who turned 226 mph plus who pushes 1,200HP based on word from
the owner.

Darryl