[DeTomaso] Fuel tank repair

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 24 03:03:34 EST 2013

 The tank can be brazed; I've done it several times. But the tank needs to be full-to-the-brim with water, and carefully positioned so only an inch or so of ragged metal is exposed to your torch flame. Done right it will be permenently fixed. Done wrong there will be an explosion that will ruin the thin tank if not your body. Tanks left out in the open for decades with no cap have blown up when someone tried to use a torch on them; gas simpiy does NOT completely evaporate regardless of what the book says.

Second method: Bondo, once cured, is permanently fuel proof. The trick here is getting the tank metal clean with a hand-held wire brush; a motorized brush may cause a spark, and ka-boom. I got a pinhole in our tank some 16 years ago and temporarily plugged it with Bondo. I haven't pulled the tank to braze it up just yet..... Use some alcohol- even vodka-  to clean any fuel residue off the outside of the tank before wire brushing and Bondo. Some guys run a Bondo-coated sheet metal screw into the pinhole before mounding more over the screwhead.