[DeTomaso] Headlights won`t go down again

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Mon Aug 19 14:25:46 EDT 2013

 I had a similar problem with my headlights not going down when I drove to Phoenix.   Apparently this had happened at the body shop last year when I had the car repaired after hitting the sheet of particle board on my trip to Phoenix a year ago.   The body guy said that he had to tap the relay (my car is a 73 so the relay was on the driver side relay panel) to get them to go down.  He suggested that I clean the contacts on the relay.   I don't usually drive my car at night so I hadn't done anything and the few times I ran the headlights up they always came down before I put it away for the winter.

When I drove to Phoenix this year I had some problems and I tapped on the relay to get them to go down.  This worked for a little while but when I got to Phoenix it wasn't working so well.   I'd tap the relay repeatedly but no dice.   I then discovered that after I turned off the headlight switch if I turned the car off and then restarted the headlights would go down upon restart.  This is what I had to do going back home.

When I got home I decided to pull the relay and clean up the contacts.   When I went to pull the relay I noticed that one of the wire connectors was just barely on the spade connector.  All the others were very tight.  I figured that was the problem but I pulled the relay and cleaned it up as long as I had gone that far.  The contacts were in good shape and one had a little corrosion so I cleaned that up.   I reinstalled the wiring connectors and my problem was gone.   I figure that my wiring connector was so loose that a tap would sometimes make the connection.  I assume there was higher voltage at engine start which also made the connection work.

Never had a problem in the prior 25 years and it looks like it should be good for the next 25.

Tom
5186