[DeTomaso] Summit Carb

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Fri Aug 2 16:24:01 EDT 2013

Those that read my posts will notice that I from time to time recommend the
Summit Carb. And I have no financial relation to Summit, except that they
through the years have accumulated a lot of my money. I think it's time to
simply endorse the product. Why? Because half of the carb problems I read
about on this forum would not have happened if the owner had bought a Summit
carb. And I want my fellow Pantera owners to enjoy driving...

They come in 600 and 750 cfm. The latter can handle up to 480 cui naturally
aspirated. They're vacuum secondaries, and that's what you need if you're
not on a track every weekend.
Here are the advantages compared to e.g. Holleys:
-lower than most Holleys
-they seem to be better quality
-aluminum, doesn't react to heat like Holleys do, so adjustments don't
change that much. Holleys need frequent adjustment, we all know that
-large glass sight plugs, easy to adjust float, no fuel dripping out of no
hole, no fire hazard
-No gaskets below fuel level, less chance of fuel leak
-Totally redesigned booster and acc circuits, improves throttle response
SIGNIFICANTLY. And adjustable if ever needed
-Works out of the box. The two I bought, they were just bolted on, idle
speed adjusted. Instant throttle response
-almost all your Holley parts like jets, acc pumps, PVs, secondary springs,
that you have on the shelf can be used
Disadvantages
-The included metal fuel line is crap, buy the recommended Russell type fuel
line

Demons had serious quality issues for years, hope you don't have one of
those. Edelbrocks are OK'ish, but the only reason to buy them is to try
something different. And start a new collection of adjustment parts.

I dare the forum, have you ever heard of a Summit carb owner that wasn't
happy with it? Once in a decade comes a product that leaves the rest behind,
this is it.

So do I have Summit carbs on my DeTomasos? No! Well only on one. The
Longchamp has had one for 5 years, works perfectly. The Pantera still has
the MME custom built Holley DP. I don't think the Summit carb can handle
600HP, 500-550HP max would be my guess. My previous Pantera  had a Summit
carb.

There, I said it!

Mikael