[DeTomaso] stock half shafts and u-joints

Paul Rimov rimovp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 01:31:04 EDT 2013

Ok so my old car came with heavy duty aftermarket half-shafts and Spicer brand u-joints as installed from the previous owner, so I have never much paid attention to many of the post regarding the stock half shaft and stock u joints, other than vaguely remembering some-one having a u joint break and the half shaft doing some extensive damage to the car and or ZF. So, here is the question. Is it really necessary to replace the stock half shaft with a heavy duty aftermarket set up or CV set up if you only have a mild engine? I would think replacing the u-joints and proper lubrication and maintenance would be more than adequate.

Cheers

Paul