[DeTomaso] Water pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 03:51:14 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/12/13 10:29:50 PM, demongusta at me.com writes:

> Any pro - cons re: electric pumps? Hard to fit, hard to wire?

Most do not pump enough water pressure or flow enough volume to cool a high
horsepower engine, having been first developed for drag racing. They are
also very expensive; fwiw I would use one (if given to me) only as a
supplemental pump for high heat/low engine speed situations, which they seem to
handle well. I know of one Pantera several years ago that made it from L.A to
'Vegas (and back) with an electric pump as its only cooling source. It was a
near-stock engine and saw engine temps in the mid-220F on the road. They're
getting better but not quite ready yet to replace the mechanical pump . My 2¢-
J Deryke