[DeTomaso] Clutch master swap out

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 02:12:54 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/11/13 12:25:07 PM, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> IMHO a long throw is not necessary if everything works as designed. That
> said, I've never driven a Pantera with a long throw slave, are they
> noticeably harder to push down? Is it a real nuisance or does one get used
> to it quickly?

Your first sentance is key, my friend! 40+ years on from brand new, things
are NOT the same as designed, particularly the linkage which is all
metal-to-metal, has no provision for lube and so wears, reducing travel at the
clutch. Simple check: if one can slide an 0.040" thick flat feeler gauge in thru
the bellhousing access hole, between the flywheel & clutch plate with a
helper pushing the clutch pedal to the floor, you have approximately stock
clearance in your clutch system. Whether this is actually enough clearance is
another debate.
Most cannot get 0.040" clearance, and worse, most do NOT push the pedal
clear to the floor when shifting. So the synchros get overworked matching gear
speeds. Yes, usually one can tell if there's a long-throw slave inside.
IMHO, you quickly get used to the 5% or so extra effort. FWIW- J Deryke