[DeTomaso] Upgrade List

David D Fisher fisher95020 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 00:40:05 EDT 2012

Stephen,

I am an owner for just under a year now and bought a pretty solid looking car, but one that the previous owner had done everything possible to not spend money on. Still,  it was relatively rust free, ok paint and the older 2 pod dash that I was after.

Since then my priority is mechanical first, beauty second.  I tend to do more than I really need to to just drive it, but here's my experience:

Before the list scares you off,  I should say that I drove the car home for 300 miles, so it was driveable, but it was 40 years old drivable, was not reliabe, and not tight.

Lastly,  all said and done,  I feel the cars are significantly undervalued.  I was comparing this to a Ferrari of the same kind of money and IMHO the Pantera is much more car.

What I have done:

1) Replace everything rubber - hoses, belt, brake piston seals, tires door seals, etc.
2) Rebuild brakes - stock brakes aren't bad for street use once rebuilt
3) Replace e brake cable
4) Replace fuel and vacumm lines
5) Replace suspection bushing
6) Replace shocks if not done already
7) Replace clutch slave and flush out the old fluid
8) Update alternator
9) New rad if not already aluminium
10) Replace rad caps and flush system
10) New rad temp switch
11) Steering rack rebuild (not done yet on my car)
12)  2nd gear syncro - not done but needed
13) Rear suspension lower bushing up uprights seized.
14) Rear axle bearing shot - I went to billet axles, but only because I plan for more power later.  1 bearing was spun
15) I already had MSD, but the distributor advance to seized and the tach adaptor fried
16) Door locks gummy
17) Replace deck lid shocks
18) Replace ignition lock
19) New A/C condensor core
20) Recharge A/C  (already converted to R134)
21) Repair split heater core
22) Motor rebuild

Optional:
1) Upgrade front rotors to Mustang vented
2) Upgrade rear axles
3) Recover seats
4) Small headlight kit
5) Big brakes