[DeTomaso] ZF temperatures

Keith R. Verges KVERGES at figdav.com
Mon Sep 3 19:45:54 EDT 2012

I lurk and saw some information that I thought was incorrect about ZF cases needing to "breathe" and other stuff along those lines.  My ZF was bead blasted and clear coated and I vintage raced and drove it on the street.  I had no problems of any kind with the transaxle and do not think clear coating can cause any harm.  If you are running sustained high speeds such that you see high transaxle temps, IMO the proper fix is to add an external cooler.  To the extent that painting or coating can increase temperatures, the marginal increase can't be a very big deal.  I was a huge fain of the clear coating, as it helped make the engine bay very clean.

I'll eat my words if someone has actual logged lubricant data with and without coating.

Keith Verges
Figari & Davenport, L.L.P.
901 Main St., Suite 3400
Dallas, TX 75202