[DeTomaso] New GT5S key quest

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri Oct 19 22:21:48 EDT 2012

Dear Forum,

            About a year ago, I was able to help Tim Tytle obtain a new key
for his disabled GT5S.  For his particular GT5S we discovered that an Ilco
1631 blank (USA), if ground slightly thinner, was completely usable and
easily available.  During that trivia tour in the wonderland of Pantera GT5S
ignition keys and locks, it was found that there is not one ignition lock
and key, but two or three different ones.  The don't interchange.

           Another GT5S owner has a broken key.  His key looks just like the
Ilco 1631 blank but with the "profile" reversed 180 degrees, i.e. the Ilco
1631 is the mirror image and will not work.

          Apparently what he needs is a SILCA SIP13P blank (European??),
that does not appear to be available in the US.  Calls to vendors have been
met with silence.

          Can anybody help to locate a SILCA SIP13P blank or substitute?

                    Warmest regards, Chuck Engles