[DeTomaso] Factory Shunt? was Re:  Ammeter, was Re:  Key difficult to turn

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 13:08:01 EDT 2012

In a message dated 10/16/12 9 29 54, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Yes, interesting.  Thanks for all the input.
>
> I notice double thin nuts on the NOS ammeter photo Mike provided, which
> adds
> further sheen of authenticity.  Do I also see washers between the plastic
> insulators and the first set of thin nuts?
>
>>>I can't tell from that photo, and unfortunately I don't have any
ammeters left to examine.   My vague recollection is that ammeters without a shunt,
had a pair of nuts and a pair of washers, while those with a shunt had four
nuts.   But that is a very, very fuzzy recollection, meant mostly to
inspire the better memories of others rather than act as a definitive statement of
fact.

Roland could perhaps tell us?

> >A postulation is that only replacement ammeters from the parts
> organization
> had/have the shunt.  Customer has for whatever reason burned up an
> ammeter, give
> him more failure-resistant one as a replacement.  Tough to prove a
> negative
> though, 40 years later.
>
>>>I think Roland's suggestion that the 50 amp units had the external shunt
and the 75 amp units had an internal shunt is more likely.

When I bought my hoard of NOS parts, among them was an ammeter in the Ford
box.   Retrospectively, I think what happened is that somebody bought a
75-amp (internal shunt) replacement for a perfectly good 50-amp (external shunt)
ammeter, and after they were swapped, the old one went back into the Ford
parts box, where I came across it 40 years later and then sold it on.

> >Curious how is it known that an internal shunt exists, without opening up
> the
> ammeter to find it.
>
>>>I loaned a 75-amp ammeter to Bill Taylor who dissected it and thoroughly
evaluated it, then shared the results on Mike Dailey's website:

http://www.panteraplace.com/page178.htm