[DeTomaso] Factory Shunt? was Re: Ammeter, was Re:  Key difficult to turn

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 15 20:42:41 EDT 2012

There was a factory shunt?  Guess I missed a few episodes here...my car is a '73
though.

The shunt I took off I made long ago, before the internet.  The needle stopped
moving over time, something I wanted to address.  But a shunted gauge with a
non-moving needle beats walking home.

And so am starting to question the wisdom of this whole project.  Has anyone
used the existing red wire off the ignition switch, that powers everything(?)
that goes on and off with the key, to only trip a relay, switching power from a
new third wire off the ammeter?

Taking just the fan current out of the ignition switch doesn't take all the
current away, as I'm finding out.

Thanks,

GD