[DeTomaso] Tri-Power

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Nov 25 22:15:59 EST 2012

In a message dated 11/25/12 6:01:39 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> I was approached be a local at a car show who stated he had one of those
> manifolds. Never seen it but was curious what one might go for. Thoughts?

They're worth a bunch to the nostalgia and show-car crowd. As far as
actually using one, an engine builder tested a tripower setup on the dyno and said
'However cool it looks, figure on leaving 40-50 bhp on the table over the
best 4bbl setup'. Another dismissed them as 'early '60s tech'. Triple intakes
were never developed compared to the chaper 4bbls, and the carbs similarly,
so they seem to fall into the neat-looking category unless you are able to
develop a combination yourself. They need specific carbs, often not the ones
you see mounted on the few running examples. In my day, they were not
popular except on a few 389 Pontiacs, which probably means something. If you can
get it affordably, you could try it until you get tired of fiddling, then
recoup your investment on E-Bay. Good luck- J Deryke