[DeTomaso] [detomaso]Pantera weight savings ideas

richard bosch theemonkey at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 14:33:29 EST 2012

I have a 1973 L that i want to put on a diet.It currently weighs 2945 pounds with a 1/2 tank of gas with street tires.2901 pounds with the racing slicks.My goal is to get the car to 2500 pounds with sound deadener still in it.The goal might not be realistic,but it is a goal.I have already removed all of the air conditioning parts except the under dash heater/evaporator box,the bumpers and bumper shocks.Car has QA1 aluminum shocks with 2.5 inch springs,Wilwood brakes including rotors,aluminum front hubs,Windsor engine with aluminum heads and intake.I am probably forgetting some of the things i have done,but you get a rough idea.On my to do list is carbon fiber deck lid(current steel deck lid has heavy delta wing,so guessing a 80 lb. weight savings),Lexan rear window,cable window motor conversion,remove radio,speakers,power antenna,aluminum radiator,remove pop up headlights and convert to fixed projection lights(i have heard various weight savings between
 100 to 125 lbs.).Maybe remove heater box(hot rod box is only 6 pounds,and i have used the defroster maybe 3 times since i bought the car in 1996) and make light weight motor mounts like the Group 4 cars.Hollow sway bars.I am guessing with what i have decided to do so far conservatively will remove 350 pounds.By the way,before some people get upset that i am ruining the car,let me mention that this car had a hard life with the previous owner.An example is using a jigsaw to enlarge  the sheet metal around the wheel openings when converting to GTS flares.Car now has GT5 flares and is pretty decent looking even with a 12 year old paint job that his been on the track a few times : )So any other ideas for weight savings?Who like to keep the car drive able as the car is street driven although not as often as i like.Thank you,RichardPS,no idea will offend me,If i do not like it,i just wont use it.