[DeTomaso] [detomaso]Pantera weight savings ideas

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 15:09:55 EST 2012

In a message dated 11/18/12 11 34 5, theemonkey at yahoo.com writes:

> I have a 1973 L that i want to put on a diet.It currently weighs 2945
> pounds with a 1/2 tank of gas with street tires.2901 pounds with the racing
> slicks.My goal is to get the car to 2500 pounds with sound deadener still in
> it.The goal might not be realistic,but it is a goal.
>
>>>It's realistic *if* you have an unlimited budget.

> >I have already removed all of the air conditioning parts except the
> under dash heater/evaporator box,the bumpers and bumper shocks.Car has QA1
> aluminum shocks with 2.5 inch springs,Wilwood brakes including rotors,aluminum
> front hubs,
>
>>>The stock cast iron hub carriers (in the rear) weigh a ton; Hall and
Byars offer billet aluminum replacements, and Pat Mical has a magnesium (!)
version available!

Bring money!

> >Windsor engine with aluminum heads and intake.I am probably forgetting
> some of the things i have done,but you get a rough idea.
>
>>>An aluminum block would offer a significant weight savings, with equally
significant cost.

> >On my to do list is carbon fiber deck lid(current steel deck lid has
> heavy delta wing,so guessing a 80 lb. weight savings),Lexan rear window,cable
> window motor conversion,
>
>>>Ted Mitchell's window system is very effective and only a fraction of
the weight of the stock setup--again, with some not-insignificant cost.

> >remove radio,speakers,power antenna,aluminum radiator,
>
>>>I vote for keeping a radiator. :>)

> >remove pop up headlights and convert to fixed projection lights(i have
> heard various weight savings between
> 100 to 125 lbs.).
>
>>>Bleah.   The aesthetics of fixed lights on a Pantera are dubious at
best.   The Gr4 cars came with aluminum headlight buckets (something I just
learned from Les Gray the other day) and some of those *might* be available from
RS Corse?   Or, do away with the stock mechanism and revert to an
independent system where each light raises/lowers independently--that would shed the
weight of the bar between the buckets, at least?.   Look to Miatas in the
junkard for the necessary hardware.

> >Maybe remove heater box(hot rod box is only 6 pounds,and i have used the
> defroster maybe 3 times since i bought the car in 1996)
>
>>>The stock setup is extremely heavy.

> > and make light weight motor mounts like the Group 4 cars.Hollow sway
> bars.I am guessing with what i have decided to do so far conservatively will
> remove 350 pounds.
>
>>>Racing seats are very light--I know you have aftermarket seats, but
can't remember if they are 'racing' seats.

There is a lot of weight to be gained by drilling holes liberally
throughout the car.   The Gr4 cars had special panels with holes pressed into them,
which were radiused for strength.   I don't know if you could achieve that
after the fact, but there are lots of places (door frames for instance) where
smaller holes could be drilled with no loss in strength.

> >By the way,before some people get upset that i am ruining the car,let me
> mention that this car had a hard life with the previous owner.An example
> is using a jigsaw to enlarge  the sheet metal around the wheel openings when
> converting to GTS flares.Car now has GT5 flares and is pretty decent
> looking even with a 12 year old paint job that his been on the track a few times
> : )
>
>>>And *off* the track just as many times! :>)

> >So any other ideas for weight savings?Who like to keep the car drive
> able as the car is street driven although not as often as i like.Thank
> you,RichardPS,no idea will offend me,If i do not like it,i just wont use it.
>
>>>Don't forget that lightweight 15-inch wheels make a notable
difference--those 18-inch monsters are just huge flywheels....