[DeTomaso] Proportional Valve bypass kit

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Mon May 28 15:45:38 EDT 2012

Ron,

Not sure about a kit.  A '73 car that I worked on recently had the proportioning valve mounted horizontally,
with two of the lines connected to the valve vertically (i.e. one line connects to the top, and the other line
turns up and connects to the bottom...if that makes sense).  I found a bubble flare tee at a local VW buggy
shop.  The two lines that connected vertically were gently massaged to bring the ends closer together so
that they could be connected to the tee.  The third line took a little more massaging to make it fit, but it was
very easy to do.

If you have the earlier proportioning valve that mounts vertically, then the third line (the one that comes from
the pressure differential valve) is too short and must be extended or replaced.  That third line has a bubble
flare on one end (with a metric threaded tubing nut) and a double flare (with a 7/16-24 threaded tubing nut)
on the other end.

John