[DeTomaso] Great new brakes, but stalling when braking

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Sun May 27 05:03:10 EDT 2012

First, let me explain why I know I have this problem. I've installed Dennis
Quella Willwood brakes this winter, and they definitely work. So I've
probably made more hard stops than ever. Great brakes.

But the engine stalls when under hard and long braking. I've read the forums
about this, and suggestions include:
Too lean, richen idle
Front float too low, raise
Rear float too high, lower
Ignition too retarded, advance
Brake booster vacuum leak
Other vacuum leaks

I've tried most of the above with no luck. It should be said that with my
cam profile from hell, it only sees 10 inches of vacuum at a nice steady
four corner idle around 900 rpm.

In the end I tested something a bit scary, going very fast in reverse and
hard braking. And then it doesn't stall! That to me says that this is indeed
a fuel gravity issue, but I have no idea how to fix it. Somebody wrote about
jet extension (since those idiots at Holley put the jets on a wall instead
of on the floor like a Rochester or Summit carb), but others were against it
because then I might get fuel starvation when accelerating hard, a much
bigger problem.

Any ideas?

Mikael