[DeTomaso] Brake question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 12 13:18:11 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/12/12 9 46 16, guson at home.se writes:

> Removing the shuttle valve will not affect brake performance at all,
> right?
> The prop valve is different.

Ah, my mistake--I was confusing the two!

Removing the shuttle valve will not affect brake performance as long as the
system is replumbed so that the front and rear systems are separate and
independent, and so long as the stock front pressure reduction valve remains in
place.

If the shuttle valve block is kept in place and simply is gutted by
removing the internals, then you have really screwed up your brakes, because now
the front and rear systems are connected.   Any differential pressure created
by the reduction valve will be offset by the fact that the systems are
connected downstream.   The result would be excessive front braking/reduced rear
braking (same as if you removed the pressure reduction valve), and also an
elimination of any safety because now a failure in one circuit will affect
the other one.

If the systems are mixed this way, then a dragging brake caliper that heats
up the fluid, would eventually heat the fluid to the other three calipers.
 Doom.

Rob--tell us exactly what you've got going on plumbing-wise?