[DeTomaso] Will a 429 thunderjet motor fit?

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Mon Mar 12 01:24:16 EDT 2012

Rob:

Last year JC Christian built a 460 stroked to 523 ci to replace the 429 Thunderjet in my '69 T-Bird. The dyno-proven result was just epic and the price was lower than a crate engine.  Not only is JC a genius when it comes to Ford engines, but he is also the nicest guy you are ever going to meet. I would urge you to contact him to see if he would be willing to build a motor for you. He is semi-retired now, but he is such a big Pantera enthusiast that I suspect he would agree.

I checked with Bobby Byers several years ago about the big block adapter parts, and was told Precision ProFormance would sell them to me if I wanted. However, he cautioned against my trying to do the job myself. He recommended I send them my car and let them do the conversion because he claimed there were a few tricks to doing it successfully. Brace yourself, though, because they charge a lot of money for that job. I almost fell out of my chair when he told me what it would cost.

- Peter

Message: 1