[DeTomaso] PR I Consumer Reports: LED taillights

jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Jun 23 08:41:15 EDT 2012

Chuck

Thanks for your positive review of Space Citys LEDs lights.

I spoke with John Haas about LED lights and our respective kits while at the Fun Rally in Phoenix this year.  As many know, he is an electronics guru and I would not hesitate to recommend his products.  On two restorations I have employed his fuse blocks and they are works of art.  His attention to detail is admirable.  While I have not seen his LEDs first hand, I have little doubt as to their exceptional quality.  On the PI Forum a test of rear blinker brightness was recently performed and the Haas LED rear blinker proved even brighter. An advantage to the Haas kit is it does not rely on reflections from the housing to reflect light or the existing socket.  So existing damage to either will not compromise light output.  The cost of the Haas kit is about 50% more than the Space City Kit.

As LED technology advances, both kits have improved their offerings over the years which of course explains why we are on Generation 4.  We have reached a point now where it is fair to ask, how bright do you want the lights to be?  They are already a magnitude brighter than the stock incandescent.  We now have available to us brighter LEDs for the sidemarker lights.  However, when employed they were so bright and cast a glow into the wheel well reminiscent of cars running neon tubes under the chassis.  So, we passed.

That said, I am sure we will continue to march forward with updating front and rear lens LEDs as the plug and play technology improves.  That is one of two advantages to the Space City kit, easy and inexpensive to upgrade and simply less expensive to replace all your LEDs and obtain the advantages of a brighter display, reduced current draw and lens damage due to bulb heat.

It is great having quality choices for our cars

JT

----  Charles Engles <cengles at cox.net> wrote:

=============
Dear Forum,

                        This is short report on the Space City Panteras
Fourth Generation LED light set for the Pantera.

                     Some years ago, I bought their first generation set.
It seemed to be good.   On the Road to Phoenix, my brother and I took both
Panteras and I was able to see the LED taillights in Pantera 2 in action for
the first time.   Good news: brake lights are excellent.   Bad news: Signal
lights are barely  visible.   This is with the GT5 tail lights.

                     I ordered the SPCP's latest LED iteration which is
their fourth generation set.   I installed the taillights today.   I didn't
road test them, but they are three quantum levels of light output better
than the generation one.   Muy bueno LEDs.    Way to go, SCPC!

                       I am told that John Haas of Pantera Electronics has
an LED set and one of our Oklahoma members has it.   I will plan on doing a
cowboy-seat-of-the-pants highly non-technical side-by-side comparison test
in the indefinite future and report back.   The SCPC tail light-only kit of
brake, reverse and signal bulbs was only $139, IIRC and I think that is less
than PE's.   Anyway, it is a lot of light for the money.

                                 Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles