[DeTomaso] Dumb question - why aren't steering wheels round anymore?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 16 14:46:47 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/16/12 11 42 1, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> I suppose that in F1 cars a round steering wheel wouldn't fit due to
> their
> legs, but I'm seeing Le Mans cars that don't appear to have the same
> problem
> and their steering wheels are sort of rectangular - a bar with two
> vertical
> grips for the hands.
>

> Whatever happened to round?.

Round wheels are great if you shuffle-steer.   Current race cars with power
steering enable the driver to keep his hands at 3 and 9 o'clock all the
time, so there is almost no need for anything other than a pair of grips.

Steering wheels are mostly supports for control switches and knobs now
anyway--steering almost seems to be their secondary function!