[DeTomaso] radiators

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 16 12:11:11 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/16/12 6 39 29, bob at longwood2.com writes:

> Why is everyone going to aluminum radiators over brass/copper radiators?
> Is there really a large difference and if so what is it?  Thanks.

The main difference is that the Fluidyne cores are made in China, so they
are much cheaper.   So the vendors like to sell them.

I think Ron Davis cores (which Dennis Quella sells) are made in the USA,
but I wasn't at the tech talk at the POCA Fun Rally where they were the
speakers, so I don't know for sure.

Aluminum radiators are also lighter, although the difference isn't as great
as you think.

BUT, as Asa Jay and others here have found, when your $500 Fluidyne
radiator springs a leak, it goes straight into the trash, because they don't
guarantee them, and they can't be fixed.   Brass radiators, on the other hand, can
be very easily reconditioned and fixed.

Steve Wilkinson kindly GAVE Lori a used Hall standard replacement radiator
(which is quite a bit bigger/better than a stock radiator but fits in the
same space).   I took it to a radiator shop, where they cleaned it out,
found/fixed a leak, pressure-tested it, painted it, and gave it back to me, for
$40.

Both her car and mine are equipped with them, and they both resolutely
refuse to overheat, running right on the thermostat most of the time, and
warming up in traffic but only to a very reasonable 210 or so.

I would never run anything else.