[DeTomaso] mufflers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 02:50:06 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/6/12 21 12 35, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> That is so cool, Mike.
>  C-5 as Pantera parts delivery vehicle!

It usually works pretty well.   In January I hand-carried a full set of Gr4
Campagnolos (15x14 rears, 15x10 fronts) which were probably worth about
$8-10K, to a very happy new owner in Sydney.   The customs guy searched the
boxes looking for contraband, and didn't bat an eye at the old, beat-up, used
wheels--not worth even bothering to charge customs etc. :>)

Once though, I tried to bring a bunch of engine parts to Roland Bohner, who
owns the wild flared twin-turbo 351C Mangusta in Germany.   Intake
manifold, carb, cam, clutch, flywheel...a bunch of heavy stuff.   I was on a
round-the-world trip that started on the east coast, so first I had to fly
commercial from San Francisco to Connecticut with all my own luggage, professional
gear, and all these parts--about 130 pounds worth.   Then I literally carried
all of it the long way around, flying west, back through California,
Alaska, Japan, Diego Garcia, etc. etc., with Germany one of our final
destinations.   Halfway through the trip they re-routed us through Spain instead of
Germany, so I wound up back in Connecticut with all these parts, then had to
bring them back home with me, again on a commercial flight.

They were quite well-travelled by the time they eventually made it to him
in Germany! :>)