[DeTomaso] Best place to hook up a new circuit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 12:09:53 EDT 2012

In a message dated 7/22/12 22 41 54, coatesr8 at aol.com writes:

> Surely if you understand electrics Thomas, you can perhaps explain what
> the difference is between a fused link direct from the battery, and a fused
> link from the fuse box ( which incidentally connects to the battery)
>

>>>The fusebox (or at least parts of it) are switched.   But you're
right--if the component in question is hooked to an unswitched portion of the
fusebox, or the ammeter, or the battery itself, effectively there is no
difference, other than the fact that the ammeter would read incorrectly depending on
which of the sources you chose.

Would a headlight circuit have a power draw when the lights are switched
off?   I find that unlikely.   My recollection is that the stock headlights
(not the motor) are hooked to an unswitched circuit on the fusebox, so that
when you activate the headlight switch with the ignition off, all the lights
illuminate, but the buckets stay down so the headlights illuminate the inside
of the fenders.

Assuming that's true, then I (a fellow who asks far more electrical
questions than he answers, a reflection of my minimal knowledge of the subject)
feel there is nothing that prevents you from hooking your new headlights to an
unswitched 12V source--the back side of the ammeter would be best.

True?