[DeTomaso] Fare Price for Powder Coating?

Jerry R Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Mon Jul 23 00:50:33 EDT 2012

I have been having some powder coat and ceramics done recently.  Here, there
is two levels of powder coat.  The first level is cured at about 400 deg the
second is cured at about 600 deg.  There is a difference in price depending
upon color also.  A translucent color is two coats one of near chrome or
bright aluminum and the other is a translucent top coat.  These must be
baked for each coat.  Also usually the part is prebaked to 500 deg and
partially cooled before coating.  The bake is about 500 deg and is used to
outgas petroleum based products and any other hangers on.  I don't know
about the heat potential of the poly bushings.  If they are already in place
they may have to be removed.  Locally powder coat level two in translucent
would be about $35.00 per piece and level one single color would be about
$25.00.  I have recently had some turbo housings done in heat disipant black
ceramic for $25.00 each and two done in Ceramachrome with the matching down
pipes for $35.00 each.  All the Ceramachome was vibratory polished.  I also
had two of the exhaust pipes and glass back mufflers Ceramachomed and
polished for $40.00 each with $20.00 for sand blasting done by another shop.
The pipes wouldn't fit in the coaters blasting cabinet.

It certainly comes out better than my painting.

jerry