[DeTomaso] Fluidyne Pantera Radiators, and interesting update

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Jul 13 23:39:35 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Being short on time and on cash, I decided to purchase a Fluidyne
Pantera radiator from Summit Racing.  It arrived damaged.  However
Summit was very easy to work with and they sent a new one right out and
picked up the damaged one.

Oh... but it got worse from there.  The replacement was damaged in a
similar fashion.  This was due to the new way they package radiators for
shipment.  It just doesn't work with the Pantera Radiator.  You can see
the gory details here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=5351&g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

I contacted Summit again and expect to get a full refund.  In addition,
I contacted Fluidyne, the person who I spoke with earlier to find out if
my present radiator was repairable.  I never found out since I never
pulled it from the car, I simply assumed it was -not- repairable and
ordered a replacement.  I did my best to illustrate the packaging
problem through photos of both the first and second radiator I
received.  I also pointed out what I thought were some build quality issues.

Little did I -know- the person I was emailing was the -owner- and
-founder- of Fluidyne, Gary Johnson.  Holy Crap!

He graciously wrote me back and told me how he was disappointed in the
product quality I received and pledged to investigate, and included a
few others at Fluidyne in his response.

Whether they really do anything or not is yet to be seen.  However, Gary
sounded sincere in his response so I am hopeful this turns out well.

Meanwhile.... I'm once again looking for a new radiator.  I may just
take my brass one down to see how much to make it like new.  Though I
-know- it needs all new fittings (present ones are rusted shut or have
been removed and soldered over with a plate).  Of course, if they think
it came from a Ferrari, they may charge me even more.

We'll have to see.
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie