[DeTomaso] Really dumb Techno Question: Front Bearings

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Mon Jan 23 09:22:05 EST 2012

Chuck,

All you need to have happen to you is to have a wheel bearing fail out on a
Colorado desert road, like it happened to me. You keep a closer eye on them
after that and it was only 35 years ago.

Nine times out of ten it is the smaller outside bearing that will go bad. It
is also the EZer bearing to get off as you do not need to remove the caliper
to get it off. But you should service both of them.

After cleaning a bearing and blowing it out with air it may seam fun to spin
the bearing with air, but it is not a good practice as you can over spin
them. Inspect the small rollers for ware rings on them as this is a sign of
future problems. When a bearing is going bad it will over heat and cook the
grease out of it before it welds it self up. Hard braking will heat them up
doing the same thing. Get to know what the normal temp should be by feeling
the hubs after a drive. Not very hot at all.

Last year I looked for a set of made in the USA bearings for the
T-Bird...gave up after a month.

Remember to always replace the race along with the wheel bearing, unless you
are stuck on the desert.

Larry (likes the Zen of packing them) - Cleveland