[DeTomaso] girling calipers - rebuild

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 19:21:22 EST 2012

If you have split the caliper, clamp the part of the piston toward  the
brake pad and clear of the dust boot securely in a vise. This area is about
1/8 inch wide and is a non critical surface. Pull and rotate the caliper  body
to extract the piston.

If you are not going to split the caliper, securely grasp the same  part of
the piston with a pair of vise grips, clap the caliper in a vise and pry
between the vise grip and the caliper body while rotating the  piston.

This method sounds pretty crude, but the area of the piston you are
gripping is a non-critical surface which can be cleaned up with a file when you
have the piston out. This how I did my pistons, and it worked.

It helps to keep the area under the dust boot liberally coated with  brake
fluid and you pull or pry evenly so the piston is pulled straight  out.

Tomas Guson's grease gun method is way more elegant and certainly  worth a
try. Should work a treat. I wish I had thought of that.

Have fun  today,

sobill at aol.com