[DeTomaso]   clutch MC bore and stroke?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 8 14:36:45 EST 2012

JB, what are you trying for here? Not trying to discourage you but there's
so much mechanical play in the clutch linkage from the pedal to the disc on
most Panteras, that it's hard to say what the measurement might actually be.
All the pivots in the under-dash effort reduction linkage (if present) are
steel-on-steel and have never been lubricated since the car left Italy and
maybe not even then. The clutch release on the bellhousing cross-shaft uses
bushings (early) or needle bearings (late) and those have likely never been
lubed. Note the early cars used a different (smaller) MC bore than late ones;
not sure on early/late slave cylinder bores or lengths.
A rough gauge for wear is to step on the pedal and see how much travel you
get before the bellcrank lever starts to move at the bellhousing. I've seen
1" of pedal-travel-slop in some cars (excluding minor hydraulic leaks); our
'72 L had over 1/2" before I went to a hydraulic throwout, and I suspect
most Panteras will have their own unique number. Note this is not 'free play'
between the bellhousing clutch fork and disc; that will be in addition. Good
luck- J Deryke