[DeTomaso] coolant bypass

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri Feb 3 11:05:12 EST 2012

"Just to add to that.
You can take out the thermostat if you're under sustained loading,
  which is why a lot of race cars are un-thermostatted.
The cooling system is matched to the load and tweaked with duct tape.
(or whatever magic you're allowed)"

Racing cars usually use a restrictor in the cooling system - a washer with the appropriate sized hole. They also run under very narrow and controlled conditions.  As stated elsewhere: "Hot water needs to remain in the radiator for a certain time to be cooled, thus the restriction aspect of a thermostat or a Moroso Flow Ring,
if the water just wet through as fast as it could, it wouldn't be cooled enough to make any real significant difference."

My V8 Miata has been a work in progress for some time.  Since I bought the car and had no idea what was going on cooling wise. I fully instrumented the cooling system and learned:
*    for most adult driving the oil will remain at the proper temperature.  If you mess with this, you will need to know what the temps and driving conditions are - just adding a cooler without knowing your temps is not the smartest thing;
*    all the air entering the front of the car needs to go through the radiator. This means that the hot air exiting the radiator needs a place to go!
*    the car NEEDS a properly working t-stat.  Among other things, this will allow the coolant to be properly cooled in the radiator.  This will probably mean more than 100 degrees difference! (documented)  A "fail-safe" t-stat, in my experience, fails almost immediately (yes, it fails open) and will cause: slow warm up, the engine to run too hot or too cold depending on conditions, the oil to run too cold (and when the water is hot, eventually the oil gets too hot!).

David in Durango

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6854 (20120203) __________

http://www.eset.com